Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Amigurumi

My sister is great. She and I talk so much more lately and I LOVE that we do that. We have gotten so much closer now as adults. I never thought we would have been as close as we are now... never. But we are and this is great.
She has always been very crafty and pretty much perfect at it. So you can imagine just how flattered I was when she asked me to teach her to make crochet hats. That was last summer. Finally in September I made a trip up to Boise, and it was a blast. I also was able to sort of help her learn to crochet.
Now she has gotten so good at it she has branched out to other projects. Amigurumi. These are little stuffed animals that you crochet. They don't have to be animals, they can also be monsters or dolls... anything really. She brought my attention to a pattern for tiny turtles. They are so cute.
Here are mine:
Below here is an arial photo taken from the Live @ Five Sky Chopper...
(just kidding).
Below is picture of their underbellies:
And below here is a photo of my amigurumi turtles next to a pocket packet of Listerine breath strips. I did this so you could better judge the size of these lil' cuties!
I filled them with polyfil, but you can use left over yarn scraps to fill them. The pink and white one was made with a bigger sock yarn, and the other was made with a thinner sock yarn.
I still need to perfect their faces, but that will come in time. Right now I just enjoy making them!

Yesterday I finally busted out my Wii Fit Plus. It was a blast. Before I knew it I had spent 40 minutes on it and burned over 300 calories! I love it. There is a hula-hoop game that you can play that really burns the fat. I got up to 341 spins in a 6 minute time frame. I thought that was pretty good. Then I called my sister. I told her my spin count, then she told me hers... 846 (I think). Holy crap. She is gonna have to come to my house so I can learn her secrets and so we can have a hula-hoop off... Actually she just needs to come to my house, no agenda required!
I miss her a lot lately and I am so glad that we talk often. We just need to be neighbors now.

I also ended up playing the Just Dance game, which is hilarious and fun. I was dancing to 'Ring my Bell' as B walked through the door. I was doing a slap-your-butt move right as he entered. We just laughed and laughed after that. It is a very fun game... well worth the $$$!

In other things:

Work is going well. We have had more deaths, and more admits. Things have actually been pretty calm the last two days. That is good to have some down time.

I have gotten another hat order (thank you Stacey), and an order for a dog sweater. That is exciting, but also intimidating as I am not too good at dog sweaters yet. But practice makes perfect.

I also plan on making more amigurumi items as well as putting together some cute hat ideas. So that is always fun.

I hope all is well with one and all.

4 comments:

Mr.s Gokey said...

Thanks for the comment!!

I noticed that my sister and I got a lot closer when we got older. We shared a room together for thirteen years and we didn't start "haning out" with each other till we were both in our twenties.

Love the turtles!!

Bonnie said...

I love those cute little turtles. I especially like the pink one. You and Nickie are quite the pair. I am just amazed at how quick you learned how to crochet such a variety of things and also how beautiful and uniform all of your "stitches" are.

You are so awesome. I could never do the hulu hoop at all.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

There is nothing like a sister. I'm glad you and yours have connected so well.

Your argue-meni...no, that's not it...amuni-gummy's...not that's not it, your monster TINY turtles are so cute and so tiny.

What's sock yarn?

Good for you, doing the hula hoopish. And Raw Chicken? Whoa! She should wear flowers in her hair and a lei.

I can just see the scene when B walked in. I laughed and laughed too.

Keep up the good work and keep posting photos.

bebe said...

Way cute hats! I like you as the model, it shows how that hats vary for the same person. Cutest turtles, too. Way to go on your weight loss and health goals. For us, just focusing on being healthy works great without worrying so much about the weight part...it just comes off as an added bonus! Go girl! Luva you, jen