Monday, February 22, 2010

Friends, Food, Dogs, Books and a Shower Head

We have been doing great lately... except not so much on our diets (gulp). B and I have just been doing a lot with our friends Brett and Stacey. They are great people.

On Friday, I decided to make us all dinner. I found a recipe on Googie's blog and it sounded delicious. It was too. It was a recipe for Chicken Chili. I made it a little bit my own and will post the recipe later. Here is the first photo of the chili. I put more chicken in that it called for.
I then decided it needed something else. So I added a can of corn. It not only made it prettier, it also made it tastier! I love canned corn.
With the chili we made some tortilla chips, recipe thanks to Raw, and yes I will post it. It is quite easy and very yummy.
Before they were cooked:

After:
They were perfect to dip in the chili. We also had baked potato's. I was a bit skeptical on eating a baked potato without any butter, but really, salt and pepper was all it needed. After dinner we just all hung out for a while.

Friday was also the day that Brett and Stacey saved a life. They adopted a dog from the Humane Society that had been short listed for being put down. He is a pit bull, and he is a sweet heart. Brett has been very good to work with him daily. Troy is doing well. And he gets along with their smaller dogs (a yorki named Dax and a fluffy one named Elli). Both their smaller dogs are 15 pounds at most, if that.
Here is Troy:

How could you not love that face? When I went to get this snap shot Brett was teaching him to 'sit'. He is doing quite well. Below is another photo just to gage his size better.
When Arnold first met Troy, he ran up and bit Troy on the chest. Troy didn't really react at all. He didn't growl, snarl, bark, or anything. He just looked at my dog and sat there. Not a very vicious dog at all. Which is interesting because the Humane Society tried to talk Brett and Stacey out of taking this dog as they said he will eat and kill smaller dogs. Not so. Smaller dogs will most likely eat and kill him... just kiddn'.

B and I have decided we really need to work on our dogs temperament much more. We have started this by making them walk next to us or just slightly behind us when we do take them out walking. Arnold is slower to learn this than Gordon. I have faith that they will get this skill soon.

Let's see, what else to tell you.
I had to work at Terrace Grove this last weekend and the shifts were really good. I do have another lil' fella who isn't doing so well, I am afraid he may have passed away since I worked last, which was yesterday. He is a sweetheart, and he will be missed.

On Sunday, after work, Brett, Stacey, B and I went to the movie 'Shutter Island'. It was not at all what I thought it would be. It was still a good show, but I expected a horror film and got a drama with some scary parts. It is good though.

Today was my day off from Terrace Grove. I did a home health visit and had a good time. I also installed our new shower head this evening. Below is a photo of the old one, don't mind the calcium deposits on our dirty little shower head, those things are a pain to clean.
B had bought this shower head about a month ago and has been too busy to install it. So tonight I came across it and B told me that I could probably handle installing it. So I did. And I interrupted him a lot to help me. B was sweet and obliged.
Here it is all hung up and ready to go. After I first turned it on it was leaking where I hadn't tightened it enough, so B had to tighten it better. Now it doesn't leak and I am looking forward to my 4:30 AM shower tomorrow!
Today was also Gordon and Arnold's annual physical/rabies boosters. They did well. Gordon weighs 21 pounds even; Arnold is at 19.7. Gordon got gold stars all across the boards. Arnold however has a lot of plaque on his teeth. We try to brush his teeth, we really do, but he will not allow it most of the time. His fronts are better than his backs, as they should be, he let's us brush them better than the backs. Anyway, I explained this to the vet and he said that Arnold had so much plaque that if we didn't do something about it he will eventually need to have some of his teeth pulled. He then suggested sedating him and having them polish his teeth for a mere $100.00.
We are gonna try something else first. I called a pet place and they suggested this:
Apparently this is a spray that you spray twice a day in your pooches mouth and it gets rid of plaque in 3 to 6 months. The pet store person said that the did a trial run with her poodle who also had awful teeth and that now the teeth are perfectly white. So Arnold got his first sprays tonight. We didn't want Gordon to feel bad so we gave him a couple of squirts too. Gordon's teeth are perfect though. He is better with letting us brush them.

Both the boys are a little tired tonight from their booster shots. The vet said that would happen. It is pretty cute how lethargic they are.
Tonight I also got some books. I am just tired of the same old low-carb recipes, so I bought some stuff to help supplement the p90x diet. Some of the books I feel will really help me keep on my diet rather than cheat on my diet. The 'Panic in Level 4' book is my guilty pleasure book. It looks good and I just need to read more books anyway!

I have also hear good things about the other books as well. I will let you know what I think about them, as if my opinion really matters.
Well, that is our lives thus far. Tomorrow is a work day. Therefore, since the 9:00 PM hour is approaching, I now must get ready for bed and stay there.

I hope all is well with everyone else.

5 comments:

Kandice said...

I'm so happy Bret and Stacey adopted that dog, he looks like a sweetheart! Where did you get that mouth spray from? I need some badly, my dogs won't let me touch their teeth and they are BAD!! I'm curious about who isn't doing well at TG, I hate to see those sweet people pass away. Love ya!

Mr.s Gokey said...

Glad you liked the chili!! I also added a can of corn to mine=) I really did not like the Skinny Bitch books. I really didn't agree with half of the things it said.

Nickie said...

Let me know what you think of your books.
Your chili looked yummers, nice job there missy!
I love that your dog tried to pick a fight with a pit bull. what a tough schnouza he is.
You crack me up, I miss you, all the stuff I always say, but I always mean it too!
Love you

Jaimie said...

I hope you enjoy the books, I did like Skinny Bitch, and did have a Skinny Bitch phase for a week and a half where I went vegetarian. This was about a year or two ago...but it's a good book and if you like straight talk and are kind of interested in vegetarianism, it's very motivating ;)

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Poor Arnold. They should make a live flavored spray. He'd love that.

Hang in there with the diet. The Fat Belly Cure by Jorge Cruise has good recipes. It's low carb and low sugar.