Friday, February 19, 2010

An Egg Blog (Mostly)! :)

Today has been a pretty good day so far. It is my day off from Terrace Grove. However, it is my first day of visits for Primrose. I really had a blast. I ended up laughing at myself (out loud) on my way to my 2nd visit.

My first visit was with a little gal that lives quite close to me. My instructions were simple and basic. Just check the blood sugar, give the insulin, and light meal prep. I have had no formal training with Primrose as they have recently acquired a lot of these diabetic patients due to the recent health care decisions from Obama. Just a quick overview, Obama has made it impossible for medicaid to pay for diabetic patients to live at home and get 3 - 4 home health visits a day. Medicaid can now only pay for one visit. Families are having to supplement this care, and unfortunately we will see most families have to put their loved ones in nursing homes. Some home health agencies had to drop many patients as they were going to be losing money for just one visit per day. Primrose is relatively new and picked up quite a few of these diabetic patients and needed some help, fast. I am happy to help out!

Anyway, I get to my first patients house and after having woken her up, I realize that I have no idea where everything in her house is kept. I had to call the case manager to find out where syringes and things are kept. Easy enough.

After I had given her shots I asked her "What would you like for breakfast?". I thought she was just going to say something easy like cereal or something. Oh no, she wanted an egg over hard. I don't make eggs. B makes eggs. My stomach jumped a little, but I played it cool.
I made her what I thought was an over hard egg. She said it was good, so I guess I did okay. That is what I laughed out loud about in my car. I called B and he laughed at me too. He also told me the proper way to make an egg over hard. Apparently you only need to flip it once and cook it a little longer after it has been flipped.

After talking with him, I went to my next visit. I have never seen these people until today, and the patient in visit number 2 was hard to find. I had no idea who I was looking for but luckily the front desk lady was there to help. He was a sweetheart and I am so happy to have this job!

After my second visit, I decided to go home and practice how to make an egg over hard. Here is how that went.

Step One: Pretty basic. I got out my supplies and set them up like any professional chef would do.
Step Two: Crack the egg in a pre-heated pan. So far so good. I am a master at these two first steps, as you can see!
Step Three: Add some salt and pepper and let it cook. I am still doing pretty awesome.
Step Four: Prepare to flip the egg over WITHOUT breaking the yolk... Um... What? How is this possible? I was able to successfully scoot the egg across the pan, as you see below:
Scooting was easy, but flipping it? Gee whiz. I am sure that I can do this...

Step Five: A SUCCESSFUL egg flip!!!! And yes I was successful in this mornings first egg flip. This morning, I flipped the egg about three times, and this resulted in a yolk breakage.
My egg practice at home was a success though.

Step Six: Celebrate your successful egg flip and cooking the egg over hard with a photo!
Step Seven: Cut into the egg and see how you really did.
Looks pretty good, but oh my, what is that on the right side of my egg?
Whoops! It is liquidy yolk!
Step Eight: Eat it anyway. Even though your diet only allows egg whites. Celebrate your 95% victory and eat that yolk... leave the whites! That's right, I said leave the whites!
Step Nine: First wonder why your font is reddish now, and why you can't fix it... then say 'mmm, I just ate the best, almost hard, egg yolks on the planet!'

Now, onto other things. We bought the cutest banana's in the world. They are perfect for the size smoothie that I usually enjoy in the morning:

Oh, welcome back normal colored font!

Below: Momma banana and baby banana unite! How cute are these things?
Enough about food!

In other things, I finally finished the throw that I made for Dee and Angie. It is a beauty! Here it is draped on our captains seat... for the captain!
Here is a close-up of the detail. It is a pretty easy pattern. I sure like it anyway. I hope they like it!
I really don't have too many other exciting things happening right now. I think that might be obvious as I have spent the better part of my blog all about an egg.

I am getting extreme spring fever! I cannot wait for warm weather. It is gonna be a good, fun, and active spring/summer. I really cannot wait!

Things at Terrace Grove just may start going my way too as far as going back to 12 hour shifts. I am hoping that we can go back. Three shifts a week are nice, and it would be even better for me now that I have this new job. I guess doing 4 days a week throughout March isn't all that bad though.

In other thoughts... I am almost 30! Oh my heck! I should probably have a baby by now, or at least want one. But some days I do, most days I don't. Is there something wrong with me? One of these days I just might have things figured out, but I guess for now it is not so bad to live in the moment.

As for now, it is time to end this post. My love to all out there who actually read my endless bull crap!

5 comments:

Nickie said...

You are cracking me up, I miss you, and you have got the best egg-flipping skills I have ever seen.
Your throw turned out so pretty! I love the colors you chose, it looks beautiful.
I'm glad you're liking your new job so far, don't go to any serial killer homes (they get diabetes too y'know.)
Love you!

Mr.s Gokey said...

It took me like a week of cooking eggs to get it just right!! Love the blanket!

Hillary said...

That was the best egg making sequence I've ever seen on the internet. It had my attention through every step.

Yes you should probably have a baby by now. I should too. And NO there is nothing wrong with you for not having it all figured out.

Those ARE the cutest bananas, Maddy always wants me to buy those. Too bad bananas are yuck.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Only you could make a blog out of an egg. Very original and with photos! What a hoot you are, my dear.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS You look w-a-y skinny. Super skinny. Absolutely skinny,