Friday, May 23, 2008

Why I'm Riding For MS

Above is a picture of Arty and his Beautiful wife (whom we'll call Opera), and their beautiful, darling little girl.  In this picture they are at my wedding ceremony.
This was approximately 1 - 2 months after Opera was diagnosed with MS.
MS is Multiple Sclerosis.  But what exactly is that?
MS is a neurological disease that affects many people, but for some reason, it favors women.
With MS, an immune cell that your body produces, begins to attack your body.
Not just any part of your body is attacked.  To be specific, the myelin sheath is attacked.
The myelin sheath covers the nerve fibers and functions to increase the rate of transmission impulses as well as insulates and protects the nerve fiber(s).  
As the sheath is broken down, transmission is blocked, interrupted, or distorted.
For Opera, she lost the vision in one of her eyes temporarily.
I am sure that this was a very scary experience for Opera.  She is a very strong woman.
Not only am I riding in the MS bike tour, but Opera is as well.  Opera is going to ride 40 miles.
I plan to ride 75 miles, as does my other sister-in-law (whom we'll call Alaska).
The boys (B, Arty, and Delaware) are all planning on doing 100 miles.  Delaware did the 100 miles last year. He is such a trooper!!!
So I do ask of you to donate like crazy.  
I ride for MS because it's personal now!

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Two things: Coconut oil helps the mylian sheath stay protected. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. Good coconut oil is expensive--it's a health food store purchase--but worth it. She should take some every day. It's solid at room temperature.

Horseback riding helps people with MS. Another think that sound crazy but is true.

Nickie said...

You go girl! Aw yeah, ride that bike! YEEHAW
I will dyson your casa anytime, you just name it. Oh wait, you did already didn't you?

Nickie said...

I can't find you in the registry, when it asks who I want to donate to, and I put in your name and team, it says no results found.
What's up with that, am I doing something wrong!?!?
Tell me!

bebe said...

I LOVE the closing line..."I ride for MS because it's personal now!!". I cannot tell you how much I agree with and support that line. That so sums up how I think we all feel!! Way to go sis!! YOU ROCK!! Oh, we are down to a mere four weeks until GO TIME!! -K- Love Ya!! BYE!!