Wednesday, May 21, 2008

...But I am OK


So I took my new road bike out for a ride today.
I have clip-less pedals that are very new to me.
With clip-less pedals, you have specific shoes that clip into the pedal.
I think they are designed to help you 'spin' as you ride, which means you use all of your leg muscle for every aspect and range of motion as you pedal.
This means you actually pull up with your leg, not just push down on your pedals.
All leg muscles get used, and, as a result you don't get fatigued all that fast.
Or so they say.
At any rate, I was going up a hill, lost momentum and attempted to clip out of my pedals.
I was just gonna walk my bike the rest of the way.
Couldn't clip out.
Fell.
This is what happened to my right knee. 
It was a better picture when I first got home, mainly because I didn't know I was bleeding.
So I cleaned my knee when I got home, and then found another little scrape on my left lower leg.
This one is not as impressive at all.
Upon further investigation, I found blood of an unknown source on my shirt.
Hmm, wonder what I did on my left arm.
Oh well.
So I got home, and called B, the biking expert to have him look over my bike when he gets home from work this evening.
Here I thought he would be proud of his amateur wife for going out on her own with tricky clip-less pedals.
B was bothered.
All questions were concerned about the bike.
"Did you scratch the frame?"
"Are the de-railers (sp?) okay?"
"Are the de-railers bent or scratched?"
"What direction did you fall?"
"Oh to the right?"
"You should have fallen to the left, that protects your de-railers."
"Why did you go out today?"
"It's rainy."
"When the pavement is wet, don't take your bike out..."
All these questions, the bike is fine, I have since cleaned it.
...But I am OK too!

4 comments:

Nickie said...

What about the tires, are they flat? Are they more flat on the left or the right? How about the handle bars? Did you try steering to a 90 degree angle in a southerly wind? If you did all that you'd be fine. Make sure to take it out when it's a calm 75 degrees outside, no more, no less.
You are hilarious, even when injured. Sorry you got hurt, those are some awesome battle wounds!
Love you

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, I hope B has kissed your impressive boo boo's by now and apologized too.

So, when he says he's hungry say; Are you stomach hungry or mouth hungry? Are you sure you shoud eat? Think of the poor food, How does it feel? It's too late to eat. You shouldn't eat after 7:00. Snacks, you say? Snacks are for after school kids. Your mom says eating leads to heart disease so you should try and give that up.

And then smile so prettily at him and laugh. You should always laugh.

Check under your shirt and see if you little arm is wounded too. And BE CAREFUL.

PS I'll bet the doggies were sympathetic.

Camille said...

Ouch--but you're going to look tough if you get a scar out of it. Think of the stories you can share about it.

I have to say B sounds just like my husband, Jewel, but it would have been "Is the car okay? Why didn't you park under a light? But not under a tree full of birds. It's too hot to take it out in this weather. Don't bother washing it, you leave streaks on the windows." lol

I agree with Nick you are hilarious! I can totally hear your voice as I read your blog.

Hansen6 said...

Awesome wounds, at least you get out and try, I don't
I have tagged you. You need to go to my blog and find out what you need to do. It is kind of fun, Love ya
Tami