Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rain, Hail, Rain, Thunder, Lightning, and...a Lil' Flood!

So, as mentioned in my previous blog, there is a certain mountain bike that I have my eye on.
I was able to get B to help me download a picture to the blog and you see the bike that I long for below.
We hopefully can order it on Monday.
I can hardly wait!
On to my day.
I thought today would be an ordinary day:
Go to work.  Go to work meeting.  Hear new changes being made at work.  Get mad/concerned over new changes.  Go home, depressed and wishing to be a millionaire, sighing that I am not.
The big boss man ended todays meeting which tells us now we have only 12 hour of nursing per day at Terrace Grove saying that he is not sure which nurses will get to have these shifts.
Bottom line, he is gonna have to lay off a few of us.
I hope it's not me, but I will find something else (gulp) if it is me.
Anyway, as my evening progressed, I had noticed that Fox news station was running a thunder/rain storm warning for Toole County.  Little did I know it was headed our way.
B and I enjoyed the lightning, the thunder, the rain, RAIN, hail, and rain.
As we were in our room, blinds pulled up and windows wide open, we suddenly heard:
"Better check your window wells!"
Then we heard a thump.
Then B says, calmly and now this makes me smile:
"Hey, he is in our window well."
We rushed down stairs, B went all the way to the basement, I opened the front door to talk to the hero saving our home.
The rain had flooded our window well above the window seal and water had gotten in.
The man had a bucket and was throwing literal buckets of water and dirt out onto our sidewalk, as you can sort of see below.
The little orange bucket below is all we had, and we used it wisely as we cleaned the flood mess.
Below here is the good news:
We were able to successfully extract a huge weed that grows in our window well every summer.
There the weed carcass lays.
VICTORY!
Below here we see B's cute foot and our pups and me and my baggy scrubs blotting up the carpet.
Below, B's chicken legs again doing more blotting.
These last two pictures are the aftermath of our window well.
We got a lot of water out and we are actually quite lucky compared to some of our neighbors.

As we cleaned our mess, those who originally brought it to our attention that we were flooding had been going out and checking ALL of the window wells.
Not everyone was as lucky as we were.
Some had 1 foot (about) of water in their basements.
As I write this blog up tonight, I can hear sump pumps running from the window wells of those who got it the worst.
B and I really are lucky.
How nice to live somewhere that your neighbors, who hardly even know you, help you out.
It has been quite an adventure.
I am also lucky because B is so even tempered and so relaxed.  He didn't freak out, he just got to work and told me what I could do to help.
Tonight I feel like the luckiest woman.
Tonight I am the luckiest woman.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm glad you didn't have the soggy basement too bad.

I'm extra glad you think those knarly feet are cute. They're gross, but I'm glad you like them.

Yippy for your new bike, it looks very fashionable and friendly.

Hillary said...

PS crummy about your jobish troubles. Maybe you should look for work down here. BY ME.

Nickie said...

Whew! I'm glad your basement didn't flood. Other than flood damage, I tend to love a good storm.
Is it supposed to be like that for the bike ride?? I hope not.
I'm excited to see you TOMORROW!
LoVeS!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I can tell you why B. is so mellow. He has had his days of running flood water up stairs from the basement to throw it in the shower and then run back down stairs to do it again. The worst was one year when Phil was at Education Week. B. Hillary and I cleaned up a horrible flood mess in the basement and when it was all clean and tidy I had to leave to pick Phil up at the curb at BYU. He was all smiley and clean and dry and got in the car, all smiley and clean and dry and said something like, "I've had a wonderful day." I wanted to push his smiley, clean, dry face in but I didn't. And that is why B. is mellow. He takes after his wonderful mother.

I am praying that you can keep your job. Who wouldn't want you? You are the best.

By the way, tell B. that Nancy Anderson's house is still for sale and the Peay's ranch, at the end of Canyon Road--the one with all the white fences--is for sale too. It is probably only several million. Neither one is close to Hillary but closer than you are now.

bebe said...

HEY!! I have some wood here that you could use to start building your ARK!! Oh wait - I think I burned it - tough break!!